Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Day #4

Tuesday

Last night I fell asleep to pouring rain on the tin roof of our building. It put me right asleep and kept me asleep through the night. I woke up this morning feeling very homesick. I know I will get through this week though. I never thought it would be this hard to be in a third world country this far away from my family and friends, but it is.

For breakfast this morning we had hard boiled eggs, pineapple, and bread. We then got ready and Laura, Mary, and I headed to Zenith to do some more school
observations. Today I got to observe a fourth and seventh grade class. I really enjoyed sitting in on the fourth grade class. I had the opportunity to observe a little bit of science (electricity) and math (division). When I was sitting in the classrooms and started to think about the lack of educational tools these children have to learn with. They sit had desks sometimes two-three per desk; they have a pen and pencil, a composition notebook, and a chalkboard. There are no lights in the classrooms, no textbooks, children books to read, computers, or educational posters. I couldn’t believe that these children were learning so much with barely any educational tools to learn with. In the United States schools spend millions of dollars a year to make sure there are copy machines, each teacher has a laptop, paper, textbooks, posters, smart boards, and the list can go on and on. Even though the children have the barest of essentials to learn with it blows me away when I see how excited the children are here about learning and receiving an education. They truly feel privileged that they are receiving and education, something that American kids don’t feel because it is a way of everyday life.

We finally had a break in the weather today. It has been a bit “cooler” and overcast. I spent the afternoon chopping away at the library some more and spent some time with the children when they got home from school. I have totally fallen in love with a six year old named Saffie. She is coming home with me in my suite case. She hasn’t said anything to me since we have been here but would hang on to me and want me to constantly pick her up and give her a piggyback ride. When I saw her afterschool today, she ran up to me and gave me a hug and said, “hi Lindsey,” and starting talking up a storm. She is the youngest child here at the CRC and I can’t get over how happy she is. I saw her off to school yesterday morning and I couldn’t even imagine how it would feel to not have my parents around to see me off to school when I was that age. Yet, she always has a big smile on her face.

For dinner we had fish stew, popcorn, cucumbers, yams, and potatoes, quite tasty. I am craving my mom’s food though, that’s for sure. After dinner we went over to see the children for VESPERS. The girls decided to go to the boy’s dorm to hear them tell goodnight stories and sing a few songs to us before they went to sleep.
Another day has come to an end here in Bo. Although I am feeling more homesick than I have all week, this experience has already been life changing and I know it will be one that I remember for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment