Monday, March 8, 2010

Day #3

Today we woke up around 7:30 and ate breakfast as a team. We then got ready and the girls departed for Zenith where we spent the morning observing classrooms. I had the opportunity to observe a Kindergarten, 1st, and 3rd class today. From the short amount of time I spent in each of the classrooms there were many things that were similar to how schools are ran in the States and there were many things that were very different as well.

The kindergarten class was talking about nouns. I know for a fact that we don’t even mention nouns till first or second grade in the United States. They are learning on a different level than students in America.

We then left the day school and went to the upper elementary Zenith school where 4th through 12th attend school. There I had the opportunity to observe a 9th grade class who was learning about pig reproduction… very interesting. Definitely didn’t think I would come here to learn about pig reproduction, but I did. I had a very difficult time understating what the teacher was saying even though he was speaking English. I understood the primary teachers very well but in the upper grades I found myself having a very difficult time understanding what they were saying.
Around 12:00 we came back to the CRC for a delicious lunch. Before we came down here I was told by many people how great the popcorn was. I was so happy when I heard we were going to have popcorn with lunch today. I will confirm it was the BEST popcorn I have ever had!

For the rest of the afternoon Laura, Mary, Scott, and myself started to tackle the VERY unorganized library. This is a task that we will not complete this week. They children have so many great books but it lacks any kind of organization.

Right before dinner we had a heavy rain storm. I decided to take advantage of the rain and go outside in my clothes and take a “shower.” It cooled me off and felt amazing!  For dinner we had rice and some sort of green stuff and pineapple for a side. We then went next door for Vespers. The children got their pen pal letters tonight. I really enjoyed reading the letters to them. I loved seeing all the smiles on the children’s faces.

Another day has come to an end here in Bo. Today has been the hottest day yet. Hopefully it will “cool” down a little tonight. The good thing is the generator came on around 4:00 today so we will at least have some fans blowing as we fall asleep!  The team had never seen someone so happy when I saw lights come on in the bathroom this afternoon. They thought I ran into someone I knew in Africa. I wish! The electricity made me happy though.

No comments:

Post a Comment